mlady_rebecca's Reviews > The Tao of Pooh

The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff

Jan 25, 11

bookshelves: 2011, non-fiction__psychology_and_health, non-fiction, series__winnie_the_pooh, non-fiction__religion_or_philosophy, jared_inspired_reading
Recommended to mlady_rebecca by: Holly - from her personal collection
Read on January 25, 2011

The back of the book reads (in part):
While Eeyore frets...
... and Piglet hesitates
... and Rabbit calculates
... and Owl pontificates
... Pooh just is.
And that's a clue to the secret wisdom of the Taoists.

Well, going by that alone, I'll never be a good Taoist. I resound more with all the other characters except Pooh. Probably Eeyore and Owl the most.

I had a stuffed Eeyore when I was a child. Don't remember if I choose him, my parents choose him because I'm that way, or it was just an odd coincidence.

Part of the Tao of Pooh is the fact that he's simpleminded, and in the moment. He doesn't over-analyze things -- that's me. Being in the moment like that allows you to be happier. *snort* I recognize that as true, but I don't believe it's something you choose. You can be more in the moment and try not to over-analyze things, but some of us can't turn our inner-Owl off.

One more funny thing about Knowledge, that of the scholar, the scientist, or anyone else; it always wants to blame the mind of the Uncarved Block - what it calls Ignorance - for problems that it causes itself, either directly or indirectly, through its own limitations, nearsightedness, or neglect. (pg 31)

Hmmm.

Another part of the Tao of Pooh is the idea of working with things the way they are, not fighting their innate nature. That one makes sense. And I do like the idea that we should see our negatives as positives, not that that comes easy to me.

When you work with Wu Wei, you put the round peg in the round hole and the square peg in the square hole. No stress, no struggle. Egotistical desire tries to force the round peg into the square hole and the square peg into the round hole. Cleverness tries to devise craftier ways of making pegs fit where they don't belong. Knowledge tries to figure out why round pegs fit round holes, but not square holes. Wu Wei doesn't try. It doesn't think about it. It just does. (pg 75)

Hmmm, I'm mostly Knowledge (Owl) with a bit of Cleverness (Rabbit?) thrown in.

Our Bisy Backson religions, sciences, and business ethics have tried their hardest to convince us that there is a Great Reward waiting for us somewhere, and that what we have to do is spend our lives working like lunatics to catch up with it. Whether it's up in the sky, behind the next molecule, or in the executive suite, it's somehow always farther along than we are - just down the road, on the other side of the world, past the moon, beyond the stars.... (pgs 97-98)

Okay, I can support that one. Get out of the rat race. Although the "time saving" attitude, I do buy into. I live on convenience food.

So, all and all a short (158 page), insightful book that is an quick and easy read. It makes me want to re-read my A.A. Milne. *g*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tao of Pooh.