Megan's Reviews > Song of Scarabaeus

Song of Scarabaeus by Sara Creasy

Jan 25, 11

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read in January, 2011

I had lowish expectations for this paperback original SF novel. It was marketed as SF/Romance, and although it does have a bit of romance in it, I think that might scare off a lot of SF fans who would really enjoy this title. Basically this is a great adventure story with some really interesting world-building. Edie is a tech who works with biocyph (biological + cypher), which is apparently a rare ability where you can tell biological software what to do. The company/government body she works for uses biocyph to reprogram inhospitable worlds for terraforming. Edie is kidnapped by rovers who want her skill set, and the action just goes and goes from there. I liked the conflicting ethical issues involved in using the sorts of technology the author describes, and the fact that Edie is never quite sure who to trust adds a nice level of momentum and tension. Her relationship with the man assigned to guard her is interesting, complicated, and not too sappy. Totally fun read, that seems to be first in a series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Song of Scarabaeus.