Jacki's Reviews > Wonder Woman, Vol. 3: The Circle

F 50x66
Jan 27, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novel-manga
Read on January 25, 2011

Summary: Wonder Woman makes friends with some sentient gorillas, fights to save her homeland from invading Nazi goons and her mother from the former members of the queen's personal guard, and faces off with a member of another DC franchise over the fate of the Khund.

Verdict: Strangely bland.

Yay!: Mercedes Lackey writes a great introduction to this volume. Wonder Woman's core values are shown as she tries to befriend enemies, kicks butt, and extends mercy. The fight scenes are decent, and the brief origin story was interesting.

Nay!: The blurb and the introduction promise an earth-shattering secret about Diana's birth, but nothing earth-shattering is revealed. More dramatic information is hinted at, but not given yet. All in all, this story is nothing to write home about. Wonder Woman easily saves the day in what could have been several epic battles, all with emotion that's curiously difficult to connect with and no sense of humor. Somehow, portraying her as the goddess she is makes Wonder Woman hard for mere mortals to relate to. On the other hand, she's as serious and feminist as someone dressed as an absolute sex object can be, so props to her.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder Woman, Vol. 3.

message 1: by Sherri (new)

Sherri I may read this, I liked the old comics that traded on myths and might have even been slightly educational. Nazis, yawn, been there done that. Sentient gorillas? No Steve Trevor? Hmmm. She is also (far as I know) the only superhero created by a psychiatrist.

Jacki No, she has a different love interest, and that was another part I found lackluster.

message 3: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Ehhh. I always thought ol' Steve held her back and detracted from the story. That aspect never seemed to fit the character, Amazons were known for their aversion to men (a quality I could sympathize with) and the whole "love interest" bit seemed wrong, y'know?

Jacki Uh, completely agree. I mean, she gives this guy some tokens and tells him she's courting him in the Amazon way. Excuse me? They aren't allowed to date! Why would there be traditional jewelry? Hippolyta had to ask the gods so she could have a baby. Major discrepancy, here!

message 5: by Sherri (new)

Sherri I'll probably read it anyway, if I can get my hands on it. If only for the sentient gorillas.

Jacki They are Gorilla Grodd's people. They're pretty cool. The Nazi characters are goofy, though.