Heather's Reviews > Insomnia

Insomnia by Stephen King

Jan 26, 11

bookshelves: horror, five-star-books, favorites
Read from January 25 to 26, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This book was a very compelling read. The one thing that always propels Stephen King's stories are his characters. He portrays them so vibrantly with three-dimensional realism--he gets into the core of their psyche and puts them through psychological trauma in the face of supernatural horrors. The book Insomnia focuses on an elder man named Ralph Roberts, who is devastated by the loss of his wife. After the death of his wife, Ralph develops a crippling insomnia which makes him see strange things.

He begins seeing auras and he is able to read the emotions, thoughts, and even intentions of other people. At first, the auras seem to have opened up a wonderland vista of a hidden world, though he eventually begins seeing the darker side of auras when he sees 'deathbags', which are looming, ominous auras that signal ominous energy and a dismal end. An even stranger aspect of his power is when he is able to see bald little doctors that no one else is able to see--and one of these doctors is intent on causing rampant chaos in the town of Derry, which is known for its dark secrets. Using his unusual powers, Ralph Roberts must help bring order and serve for the Purpose, which the chaotic little bald doctor opposes.

I loved this book. Stephen King definitely knows how to tell a good story, one that grips you by the throat and refuses to let go until the very end. I always like stories with psychic phenomena, and Stephen King portrays the supernatural in his story in a believable manner. The characters who are thrust upon the paranormal world are also portrayed realistically, and are achingly vulnerable yet resilient at the same time. Stephen King definitely has a way of drawing out a reader's emotions without resorting to maudlin or overdramatic writing.

I believe that it was a great read. Don't let the the size of the book intimidate you--it's a definite page-turner, I think. At least, I found myself flipping the pages and continually reading well late into the night.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insomnia.