H.A.'s Reviews > Feeling Good

Feeling Good by David D. Burns

Jan 30, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: psychology, self-help, bipolar_disorder, borrowed
Recommended for: No one -- get a newer edition
Read from January 25 to 30, 2011

I wanted to enjoy and recommend this book, but I suspect they must have extensively rewritten the newer edition. I don't see how any self-respecting person can get far being called "delusional" and "silly" among other things, over and over again. The tone of this edition is just horrible, and the "blame the victim" mentality on top of the dismissal of often life-saving medications, forced me to just give up on this book before I was even through the first three or four chapters.

As a former psych student, I know the theories contained in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy are legitimate and can be really helpful in recovery from many levels of depression, but you would never know it from this edition of this book.

Again, I can't speak for the newest edition which is hot on the stands right now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feeling Good.

message 1: by Ronnie (new) - added it

Ronnie Darby You mentioned "I can't speak for the newest edition". I don't which edition you read, but the Kindle edition is always up to date.

message 2: by Ronnie (new) - added it

Ronnie Darby I had Major Depression most of my life. No psychiatrist, several dozens, and untold therapists were of no help at all. This book, along with doing it's central exercise, religiously, literally *saved my life* as I had, to the best of my ability attempted suicide many times and was admitted to psychiatric hospitals so many times I can't count. Everyone kept telling me to "let go"; but no one could tell me *how*. This book *did*. I don't think that the author realized that the extremely difficult excersise he talks about realized that the exercise relies heavily on 'self hypnosis', which I have been adapt at for a very long time. The only problem that I can see is that this exercise is extremely difficult to 'pull off' when one is extremely mentally ill.

message 3: by Maja (new) - added it

Maja Leibovitz I just finished Ernest Becker's Denial of Death and going to give this book a try. Thanks for sharing Ronnie. Makes me more motivated to read this.

message 4: by Jonatron (new) - added it

Jonatron can you list some specific examples? I'm not sure which edition I have