Sarah Maddaford's Reviews > Cirque Du Freak: Hunters of the Dusk, Vol. 07

Cirque Du Freak by Darren Shan

Feb 09, 2011

bookshelves: creatures, fantasy, graphic-novel, arlington, modern, mythology-misc, political, supernatural, war, young-adult, need-to-read-something-else-first, manga, vampire
Read on February 09, 2011

I'm not a big fan of stories jumping ahead by years even in between books, but it does work fairly well with this series. Of course, reading the manga is inevitably different than reading the book version. I don't know what got left out in order to make the gist of the book fit into the pages of the manga. Unfortunately, one of the reasons that jumping ahead works for me is that I'm not as attached to or invested in the characters. I like them and I'm interested to know what happens to them, but I don't feel like I'm missing something by skipping so many years at a time. This book starts 6 years after the start of the war and Darren's becoming a prince. The use of puppets to tell the back story is a really neat technique. There's no sex and not much if any language, but there is a fairly intense fight scene where someone loses a body part.
SPOILERS
I really hate Mr. Tiny, every time he shows up something awful happens. I also hate how fixed he makes the future seem. I believe that every choice opens and closes possibilities, but anyone who could see all those possibilities would be seriously cracked. Mr. Tiny is definitely insane, but he also seems too capable of driving things toward the direction he wants.
I was very glad to finally see Darren looking older (and having his hair back...). It's just very hard for me to see such a young looking character in the situations Darren goes through. I realize that he is actually much older, but he looked like a young child. This probably wouldn't bother me as much in the text version because I wouldn't be constantly reminded of it (at least he's not one of those creepy ghost/vampire/zombie children you get in some visual media).
Finally, I haven't read the books (or seen the movie) and this is as far as I have read in the manga, but I have a feeling I know who the Vampaneze Lord is and I'm not sure I like the idea.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cirque Du Freak.

04/23 marked as: read

message 1: by Larten (new)

Larten Yeah the character that is the vampaneze lord is pretty cliche but that doesnt stop me from hating his damned guts