Amy Boukair's Reviews > What the Night Knows

What the Night Knows by Dean Koontz

Jan 25, 11

Read in January, 2011

Dean, Dean, Dean... what am I going to do with you??? I have (had) been a fan since the beginning, and am sorely disappointed in this one. I had even sworn you off years ago, but still find myself coming back hoping that maybe, just maybe, this next one will redeem you. Sadly, and again, this is not the case. Sure, you worked in all of your trademark items: 1) Golden Retriever (I have one of those), 2) child with a disability (I have one of those too), 3) Average Joe fighting the big baddie, etc., etc., but what you're missing is something we readers like to call "realism." Whatever happened to your believable characters? This one has a cop, okay - I can imagine that, but he has staff???? Really??? The wife is a perfectly perfect person/artist who home schools three perfectly perfect children, and THEY HAVE STAFF????

The idea of the bad guy was great. Imaginative. Interesting. The idea of the crimes, and how they were committed then and now, was great. Creepy. Spellbinding. But the end - and I'm not going to spoil it - sucked. Not a very literary word, but it's the best descriptor I can think of at the moment.

So I am back to swearing you off - UNTIL - the next Odd Thomas book, IF you should decide to grace us with it. And even then only IF you take Odd back to his roots, and not as the 'James Bond of the undead' you've since made him out to be.

Did I mention I'm sorely disappointed? Yeah. I am.

Come back to us Dean...from whatever narly dimension you've gone to where cops have household staff.

We miss you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What the Night Knows.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bre (new) - added it

Bre oh no, I was gonna buy this but now I'm not so sure. I know what you mean about the repetitivess. :/

Maciek Good review. Aside from the usual conveniently perfect and rich protagonists who plague Koontz's recent fiction the most disturbing aspect was the boy who collects army book and wants to become a marine to protect his family and homeland from evil dictators and evil believers who fly planes into buildings. Not to mention that any of the kids doesn't listen to music, do not complain about not being allowed to watch television, play games. They do not follow any trends.
This book had a great premise and potential, but he totally blew it.I was rooting for the ghost, but this is Koontz, so we all know how it'd end.

Rebecca Oh dear. I actually feel the same way as you do in that Koontz's work over the past several years has been very candy shop - lots of spiritual references, flowery, feel-good prose, and the promise that perhaps something sinister stirs behind the scenes...but it never really does.

When I started this one, I was immediately intrigued and have thus far found it reminiscent of his earlier stuff. Now you have worried me...but no worries! Koontz might be slipping, but surely this book can't be any worse than any of James Patterson's drivel. Thanks for the great review! -=0)