Jake's Reviews > The Black Island

Jan 26, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: comic, adventure, graphic-novel
Read on January 25, 2011

Honestly, Tintin is like the Archie comics with balls. It's playful and innocent, but it still includes whiskey and guns. It brings you into the era it was written and you feel like some imaginative boy in 1930s Belgium reading this at night, saying things to yourself like, "oh boy!"

Tintin and his faithful dog Snowy foil a gang of counterfeiters and they do it by car, train and plane. Tintin ends up in the hospital twice and never lets his hero boy reporter instinct keep him away from figuring out the truth.

It's the first Tintin adventure tale I've read and I'm sure it was more ground-breaking when it debuted. I can see how this sense of adventure came to influence other storytellers of the 20th Century. It was fun and it reads like a serious throwback, though it's actually what anything from the last 50 years was referencing.

It was a lot of fun, though I thought it was leading to a bigger finale, but the Tintin comic strip started in 1929, so this was before the era of "we need a big twist." It's just a innocent but pleasantly wild, sometimes funny, straight-forward, do-the-right-thing-at-all-costs, mystery-solving adventure serial.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Island.

02/09 marked as: read