Mariam's Reviews > The Thin Woman

The Thin Woman by Dorothy Cannell

Jan 25, 2011

bookshelves: regular-ol-fiction
Read in January, 2001

Ellie Haskell is a hapless young woman who is too chubby, too old, and too clumsy for life to take her seriously and bring her a man. Now, I am not a romance reader and this book is no typical romance......., you will not find here a long drawn out scene in which the main character experiences "flutterings" and "butterflies". Instead, you will find a thwarted Ellie eating an entire box of eclaires on her own (which we all know is the real story behind heartache and longing), or buying an outfit, reccomended by well meaning friends, that only seems to expand her already expanded figure. No, what we have here is one of the most believeable female characters in modern literature. She is funny, endearing, realistic and completely loveable. This story is also a fine mystery novel..., it's not a mind bender or crime buster sort, just a fun romp through the English countryside with a fun old story to uncover along with Ellie. It is well written, and an easy book to pick up and get right back to if life demands that you leave off reading for a bit. It's also a good book to binge on if you can cuddle in bed and read the night through (which is my m.o. when it comes to a good book). Enjoy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thin Woman.

04/14/2016 marked as: read