Michelle's Reviews > Cold Magic

Cold Magic by Kate Elliott

Feb 20, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, book_club, historical-fantasy, dtb-own, adventure, witches_wizards
Read from February 18 to 20, 2011

4.5 stars, with my only quibble being that this book is very much the first in a longer whole, rather than a fully complete tale on its own.

Cathereine, a smart (and smart-mouthed) woman on the cusp of her legal adulthood at 20 is suddenly required to marry a powerful mage due to a mysterious contract between their families. overwhelmed, she goes with him as the law and familial honor demand, but learns that nothing about her life is what it seems. there's a far murkier and wider political sphere than she's ever noticed, her parents may have been rebels in it, in fact nothing about her family is what she's always believed to be true, she's got a husband she doesn't know and can't possibly trust, and there's no way of knowing how she fits in to the bigger picture or just what is going on.

racing from peril to adventure seeking the answers makes for un-put-down-able reading. very recommended, but with that wide-open (thankfully not cliff hanger-y!!) ending, you'll wish the sequel was available.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold Magic.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suz Now I have to convince you to mail that to me :P Otherwise I have to wait until April! oh the humanity!