Kelly's Reviews > Hamlet

Hamlet by William Shakespeare

May 25, 07

bookshelves: theatre, brit-lit, wits-and-fools, 1500-1700, shakespeare, great-and-terrible-men
Recommended for: everyone. Even if you don't like Shakespeare. It's necessary.
Read in September, 2003

I do not know how I would get by in my other literary experiences without knowing this play at at least the moderate level that I do. There are countless other books (Ulysses being the first that comes to mind) that reference it or use it as a major theme, and I think I would have missed out on a lot if I didn't have this in my arsenal.

I love the "piece of work is man" speech so much. And "rogue and peasant slave".

I am obviously not qualified to really review Hamlet. And besides, it's Hamlet, who doesn't know that it's fantastic already?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hamlet.

Jason You are most certainly qualified. More than most, I'd say.

message 2: by Kelly (last edited Nov 24, 2012 06:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kelly Ha, I don't know about that. My degrees are in subjects that do not include Hamlet! I do keep meaning to come back and write a more substantial review of this, though. I've dodged writing reviews of a few of my favorite works, including this one. I think its because I love the books so much I thought I couldn't possibly express that in a way that didn't make me appear to be a tween fangirl or just plain incoherent. There are a couple books I loove I've never reviewed for that reason. One day I do have to come back and give it a shot though. Thanks for the reminder.