Sirpa Grierson's Reviews > A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

Feb 08, 11

bookshelves: autobiography, history
Read from January 25 to February 05, 2011

My son-in-law is hiking the Appalachian Trail next year. It will take six months and is over 2,000 miles! He gave me this book to read (I think in hopes of persuading my daughter to go with him!) and Bill Bryson, the author, is hilarious. On the other hand, I don't know if Bryson intended to paint such a scary view of the possibilities of hiking one of America's longest trails, but this book, despite it's humorous approach, defines many of the real hazards of hiking through a wilderness. Bryson has a way of making stories out of the most simple situations. Recommended for oudoor enthusiasts or those who dream of being such, as well as those who just want to laugh at funny characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Walk in the Woods.

message 1: by Rob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob Did your son in law ever actually go through with this? Lauren wants to hike the Appalachian Trail when we come back to the US. It would be quite an adventure.

message 2: by Sirpa (last edited Oct 16, 2012 03:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sirpa Grierson He didn't but still wants to. While not working or at school he is a wildland firefighter and they have needed him as crew boss with the forest fires this year. It is still a dream and I'd like to join them for part of it. My daughter said she would do a short section, but he has prepared for several years and read everything he could find. Let me know if you really do it! I would have love it if I had the time.