Karen's Reviews > When God Becomes a Drug

When God Becomes a Drug by Leo Booth

Jan 25, 2011

bookshelves: nonfiction, spirituality

I read this book quite a while ago when the Christian Right was rising, but was reminded of it just recently when I found notes I had made while reading. The subtitle is Breaking the Chains of Religious Addiction and Abuse and it was written by an Episcopal minister. He's an incredibly insightful man, and does a great job of delineating the symptoms of religious compulsion/addiction, then addresses the reasons it's a problem for mental and emotional health in both childhood and adulthood. The book also discusses recovery from religious addiction (the perpetrator) and recovery from religious abuse (the spouse and/or children), emphasizing a more general spirituality over dogmatic religiosity. I found it interesting on both an intellectual and personal level. Despite the Christian Right paying lip service to 'God's love,' the author does a great job of laying out the interrelated reasons for their superiority, anger, and condemnation. In a country where religion is seen as a good thing, this book clearly exposes how it can be a shockingly destructive force as well.
[copyright 1991]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When God Becomes a Drug.