Vinaya's Reviews > The King of Attolia

The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner

Jan 25, 11

bookshelves: books-i-liked, ya-fantasy, comparative-5-stars
Recommended to Vinaya by: Tatiana G.
Read on January 25, 2011

I loved this book, as I did the previous one, but then, I was kinda expecting to anyway, what with Turner's turn of phrase, heh.

This is a short review, because there is no more to gush about than there already was in the previous books. Gen was smart and outwitted everyone, woo! As if we didn't see that coming. But it was still fun to watch him trip up the members of the Attolian court. The love between the queen and the king was a lot more tender in this story, although I was a little disappointed to find that the wedded Queen of Attolia kind of fades into the background. That was one of my few gripes with this novel, that someone so fiery and used to holding the reins suddenly just became this supportive wife who only flew into a rage in defense of her husband and was all to eager to see him take over her power. Uh-huh, I liked Irene better when she was chopping off people's hands and spitting in the Mede's face. Also, very little magus, Eddis or Sophos, all of whom I'm hoping return with a bang in the fourth book!

To be honest, although I thoroughly enjoyed the third book, the second one was more breath-taking. But since Megan Whalen Turner has a great gift for storytelling, the third book in the King's Thief series was pretty damn un-put-downable too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The King of Attolia.