Jenelle's Reviews > Graceling

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Ok, time to talk about this book.

This is one of those times when you finish the book feeling one way, but as the days and weeks go by, you can't stop thinking about it and ultimately it changes your mind.

The beginning of the book was rough. I was so confused with people and places, and trying to figure out exactly how old Katsa is supposed to be.(unless you read carefully, you think she's a preteen, but in fact she's 18 or 20). I kept flipping back and forth trying to remember details and keep things straight, and it was slow and laborious and really not that interesting anyway.

But then, finally, things started to pick up. The story really does have some good things going for it and there were some atypical characters that kept it from getting stale. Katsa herself is interesting--she actually has good reason to be kinda witchy. Her defense mechanisms and insecurities are legitimate.

I loved the setup with Po. It was fun to see his character slowly unveiled and the dynamic that he has with Katsa is pretty entertaining. It takes a lot to get her walls down, and once she has opened up to him, he seemingly breaks her trust and she closes off again.

Of course, circumstances throw them together, and in the midst of it they finally start to rebuild that trust and these two immensely powerful characters are able to be vulnerable with each other. It was so sweet, and though I shouldn't have liked it, I have to admit I did. And then, just like in Fire, she has some convenient morning-after leaves to chew. But unlike Fire, she's not a hussy and it sort of makes sense.

Anyway, so the story that's going on around them has got some great medieval intrigue and some pretty epic scenes, and just keeps getting better. There are a lot of crazy twists, with the worst one coming right near the end, but its one of those sad yet profound situations that still gives you hope. And then the stupid author totally shreds it with an entirely uncharacteristic final scene. It was awful!

Even worse, the 2nd book in the trilogy is entirely different people, in a different time, and a different place. And apparently the 3rd book is supposed to follow one of the characters from the end of the first one (but not Katsa). I am beyond irritated.

So there you go. I was bored, I liked it, maybe even loved it (guiltily, at times), and then I threw it across the room for its super dumb ending. But I can't stop thinking about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graceling.

Jessica that was me, too. i couldn't stop thinking about it, and the more i did the more irritated i was with the author for the ways she ended it and for the questionable morals she seems to be advocating. in fact, it was on my mind so much that i woke up in the middle of the night after reading it and couldn't go back to sleep because i was getting more and more aggravated with it. it was at that point that i said to myself -- "okay, that's it. i'm giving this 1 star!" -- and then i was finally able to get over it and fall back asleep. so there you go. i still haven't written my review of this book and i read it a couple of months ago.

Jenelle That's too funny! You need to write your review now! I actually think I'm going to reread it and see if I feel any different the 2nd time around.