TJ Shelby's Reviews > God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian

God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian by Kurt Vonnegut

Jan 25, 2011

Read from January 24 to 25, 2011

Hilarious book. What started as complete irreverence for the hereafter actually became an appreciation of life in the now. Originally a collection of radio shorts for WNYC, the book chronicles the author's trip down the long blue tunnel to visit the Pearly Gates and interview a cast of souls both famous and ordinary. Dr. Kevorkian assists each time to send him 3/4 dead and then to bring him back...well, until Kevorkian gets nabbed for 1st degree murder charges and dragged back to his home state for trial. To me, it isn't worth the sticker price, but borrow it from the library and you won't be disappointed.

Here is an excerpt from the book, Kurt meets Adolf Hitler:

Dr. Kevorkian has just unstrapped me from the gurney after yet another controlled near-death experience. I was lucky enough on this trip to interview none other than the late Adolf Hitler.

I was gratified to learn that he now feels remorse for any actions of his, however indirectly, which might have had anything to do with the violent deaths suffered by thirty-five million people during World War II. He and his mistress Eva Braun, of course, were among those casualties, along with four million other Germans, six million Jews, eighteen million members of the Soviet Union, and so on.

I paid my dues along with everybody else,” he said.

It is his hope that a modest monument, possibly a stone cross, since he was a Christian, will be erected somewhere in his memory, possibly on the grounds of the United Nations headquarters in New York. It should be incised, he said, with his name and dates 1889-1945. Underneath should be a two-word sentence in German: “Entschuldigen Sie.”

Roughly translated into English, this comes out, “I Beg Your Pardon,” or “Excuse Me."
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian.

message 1: by Jodi (new)

Jodi what the what?!

Natalie I just read this book. It was hillarious! My favorite part was when he fell in love with the 24 year old that had a "colorful family." What an excellent way to bring sarcastic comedy to the state of the country, the world, education and science. I was a little disturbed by the Adolf Hitler part as I don't think that I can humanly wrap my brain around him "paying his dues." Something that large it too big to comprehend any kind of justice or redemtion. However, it reminds me of a joke by Eddie Izzard in his stand-up days about how when dictators commit genocide and are responsible for the deaths of so many people, we as humans don't know what to do with them, so you are kind of left with a felling of "hmmm, well done."