Shannon 's Reviews > Pack of Lies

Pack of Lies by Laura Anne Gilman

Feb 03, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from January 24 to 27, 2011

This is the second book in the Paranormal Scene Investigations Series and I did not get a chance to read the first book, Hard Magic. I was easily able to start with book 2 and not feel like I was missing any valuable information. I like when a book in a series can also stand on its own so this was a good thing in my opinion. The main character Bonnie is a member of P.U.P.I (Private, Unaffiliated, Paranormal Investigations). The team is like a paranormal CSI and I really liked following along as they worked to solve a crime. The case that they are called in to solve is very interesting and that is not always the case in UF where sometimes the paranormal elements overshadow the mystery.

Bonnie is unapologetically a girl who does what she wants and I like that about her. She drinks and she gets physical with a man because she can and does not expect a relationship to follow or try to force one. Let’s be real, she is a young unmarried woman and I think that behavior is realistic and I like that! She does not step over the line with that behavior though to become some stereotype, which I hate. I appreciate when a character is relatable especially in an urban fantasy novel where we are asked to suspend disbelief about so much else.

Besides Bonnie, the team is made up of other fun characters and I think we get a pretty good feel for their personalities. There are two bosses, Ian and Ben, and I enjoyed the scenes involving them. Ian has a storyline involving his sister and I enjoyed that extra bit of family dynamic. Of course I could not leave out the romance. I really enjoyed the slow burn of this one. I was never sure exactly what direction she was ultimately going to go and I enjoyed the ride.

BOTTOM LINE: GREAT SERIES AND I CAN NOT WAIT TO READ BOOK 3!

Source: Publisher LUNA Books Via NetGalley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pack of Lies.