Christa Seeley's Reviews > Kafka on the Shore

Feb 19, 11

bookshelves: 1001-books, 2011, own
Recommended for: Everyone
Read from February 13 to 19, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Sometimes you come across a book that just blows you away. This is one of those books.

Kafka's and Nakata's adventures had me utterly addicted from the first few pages. It has been awhile since I have been engaged by such well developed and compelling characters. The two couldn't be anymore different. Kafka, a teenage runaway, was the “toughest fifteen-year old in the world” and Nakata, a mentally-blank senior. But Murakami's writing is perfect for both of them. They seemed so human that you found yourself cheering them on as they searched what they were looking for and felt their failure and success as strongly as they did.

Beyond the characters, the story itself was well crafted. There are quite a few twists and turns and it wasn't until the very last moment that I knew what was going to happen. There were a number of times I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen and having no idea where Murakami was going to take me next.

The writing wasn't difficult but the story is one that will make you think. The importance of relationships, the power of memory and the journey towards what you need to do (even if you don't know what that is yet). Heavy issues, but tackled in an accessible way. This will be one book that sticks with me for a long while.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kafka on the Shore.

02/13/2011 page 69