Sabrina's Reviews > The Classic Slave Narratives

The Classic Slave Narratives by Henry Louis Gates Jr.

Jan 24, 11

Read in December, 2010

This book was one of my all time favorites that I've read this junior year. I loved each slave narrative because they each brought their own perspective and it was interesting for me to try and imagine myself in a time where I am made inferior to all other races. These memoirs really emphasized how hard African-Americans have struggled to reach Where we are today. It was also interesting to Heard the life of a slave from both genders so that we were able to compare and contrasts their struggles and the roles or jobs they took while residing on the plantation. Women's roles and struggles as a slave differed dramatically from than that of men. Women deep to take on the role as caretakers for the children or becoming house servants. I also learned why dopent seemed of much more value than a mâle slave. However I'm still having trouble understanding why White men found it of so much pleasure and interesting to sleep with women they felt were of an inferior race. What attracted them so much to women they claimed to be inferior.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Classic Slave Narratives.