thewanderingjew's Reviews > Last Man Standing

Last Man Standing by David Baldacci

Jan 24, 11

Read in January, 2011

I listened to this book driving north to New York, from Florida. I don't know if the book is as good as a visual read but, as an audio, it was great. There was no chance of falling asleep while driving, that's for sure. It was really an exciting thriller which held my interest constantly. It was just perfect for a long car trip.
It starts out with an FBI drug bust gone bad and then twists and turns with all sorts of subplots woven into the tale. There are kidnappings, unsolved murders, betrayals, crooked psychiatrists, drug dealers, planted bugs in offices and cars, hired thugs and killers. There are a lot of characters and you really do have to concentrate to keep them straight but they all seem vital to the story and most are very interesting characters with unique personalities.
Web London is the star FBI agent around whom the plot revolves. Did he become paralyzed with fear during the drug bust or did something else cause his odd, erratic behavior? His past comes back to haunt him as he tries to get to the bottom of that mystery. The book will keep you on the edge of your seat until the end. There are some parts which may require you to suspend disbelief, they are either so obvious or seem outrageous, but they do add to the plot, in their own way.
There is one major drawback with this audio book. Although the reader was very good, in between each segment, music played. The sound and tempo of the music made it seem like the audio was over as the melody faded off to nothing and silence ensued. If you didn't pause and wait until the CD went back to the 1st track, you wouldn't realize that it was not over and could remove it prematurely, missing part of the story, as a result.
I recommend this book for airports, plane trips, cruises and beach reading. It is not a serious read; it is an exciting, crime novel, a fun read in which all the ends will tie up nicely and yet, it will still leave you wondering about what the future will hold for Web London, when you turn the final page.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Man Standing.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Pickering That's stuff I need to know! I find my needs for an audio book are totally different than my needs for a good read. Often the ones I would probably enjoy as a read put me to sleep as an audio (which was probably part of my problem with "Snowflower and the Secret Fan." Will put this on my list for audios!