Joie M's Reviews > What's Up Down There?: Questions You'd Only Ask Your Gynecologist If She Was Your Best Friend

What's Up Down There? by Lissa Rankin

Feb 02, 11

bookshelves: nonfiction, kindle, 2011
Read from January 24 to February 01, 2011

Just a quick glance at the table of contents was enough to make me want to read this book--I mean seriously, the introduction is called "Let's Talk About Coochies and Boobs." The rest of the text follows with a similarly down-to-earth tone and deals frankly with any and just about every issue related to women's bodies. Dr. Rankin mixes her significant expertise with her vibrant sense of humor to compile a frequently-asked-questions sort of book dealing with everything from anatomy to sex to childbirth to menopause.

While I did appreciate how much emphasis she put on working to maintain a positive self-image, my only problem with the book was the last two chapters, which got a little too New Age/Self-Help for my tastes. If you want to refer to your girlparts as if its/their/her name is "Yoni," more power to you, but I can't quite take it seriously. Still, her overall message--that women should not be ashamed of their bodies and should own their identity, sexuality, and womanhood--is commendable.

I found What's Up Down There? to be hilarious, fun, and informative--it's exactly the kind of book I'd give to my teenage daughter. That is, if the honest discussion of what happens before, during, and after childbirth hadn't put me off the idea of having kids even more than I already was.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What's Up Down There?.

01/24/2011
54.0% "This book is HILARIOUS. And informative. And amazing. I'm sure I'll repeat all of this and more when I finish/review it."
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hailey (new)

Hailey ahaha i love that you are reading this....and..i am not ashamed to say my interest is perked