Chris Aylott's Reviews > How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming

How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming by Mike Brown

M_50x66
Jan 25, 11

Read from January 24 to 25, 2011

When I picked his up, I was worried it would be a retread of Neil DeGrasse Tyson's excellent The Pluto Files. It's not. Pluto is just the hook for Brown's memoir of what it's like to be a modern-day astronomer, looking for big things in a solar system that seems (at first) to be mostly explored.

This book is a joy to read, full of wit and cutting-edge science. Brown is a gifted writer who can explain not only what an astronomer does but how he thinks, drawing you into his wonder at the universe and his obsessive need to measure it. (We're talking about a guy who spent months taking precise readings on how long his infant daughter went between feedings, all to answer the question "WHEN, WHEN WILL YOU SLEEP!") This is a great book about science and scientists, and the best book about astronomy I've read in a long time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Heather I had the same thought about Tyson's book, but this is really a funny, educational, and engaging memoir - more a story of Mike Brown the man than the science behind what he does, although the science is there too. Excellent read.