Melissa's Reviews > Rebecca

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Nov 25, 2014

it was ok
bookshelves: classics, suspense, romance, first-person
Read in May, 2014

Reading this is like stepping into someone else's life and thoughts, though many of them are similar to my own insecure thoughts. The characters, feelings, and places are so vivid. I dare say the first person helps, but the author is quite exceptional.

I already knew how the story would end, having seen the Hitchcock movie of it (which was a bit different), and having a sister who read it, so that was a little disappointing, but the writing style was enough to keep me reading, and hoped to be inspired in my own writing, if nothing else.

However, there is quite a bit of swearing & using the Lord's name in vain, which got worse toward the end of the book, as do the characters, in many ways. I'm not sure what the ending is trying to convey--perhaps it's one of those postmodern types of stories in which the reader is supposed to decide what it means. However, it did leave me with foreboding, and the sense that the main characters' lives would be full of fear, which the beginning of the book conveyed, as well. So, it wasn't altogether horrible, but pretty bad besides the writing style.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebecca.