Liz L's Reviews > Linger

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

Jul 03, 11

bookshelves: own-bought, own
Read from June 02 to July 03, 2011

When I read Shiver, I found a story that looked pretty good. It wasn't a favourite, but it was good. Good enough for me to buy the sequel.

However, Linger still didn't meet the expectations I had for this series. It took me a month to read this book, and that is very rare for me. When it comes to books I like, it usually takes three days - tops - for me to read it.

When I sat down to read Linger, I wasn't hooked. Nothing reached out, grabbed me, and pulled me in. I was actually bored. So, I put it aside to pick up when I was ready. When I did pick it back up, I made myself push through the boring stuff. It did get more interesting, but the climax wasn't until the very end.

Grace's transformation was probably the most interesting thing in the whole story. No, I don't mean her physical one, but her emotional one. She starts out as the good girl. The one who wouldn't break the rules or go against her parents. Then, she turns into a person who throws off the bowlines and sails away from the safe harbor. She sailed straight into rocky seas.

Sam...I like Sam. I always have, but not in the crazy fan girl way. I'd love to have the guy as a friend. I felt that he also changed a lot in this book, more than just becoming human and accepting it. He seemed much milder.

Cole wasn't a necessary addition to the plot, but intriguing none the less. Isabel...I've always liked her. Her bluntness and attitude add a spark of life to the story.

Besides having such a nice array of characters, I never was able to connect to one. I couldn't find that niche in the story that fit me, the reader. The part that made me feel like I was living it too, not just Grace, Sam, Cole, and Isabel. I think that's why I wasn't into the story as much.

Over all, it was a good story, but not the best. I love Stiefvater's writing style too. She includes such everyday things that anyone can relate to. It was the only thing that I related to the in the story, but I really liked that.
The end of the book was really nicely done, and it's the only thing that makes me want to read the last book. However, I think the ending that the reader is ultimately heading towards is one that we don't expect.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Linger.

06/03/2011 page 12

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jp (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jp Only 3???

message 2: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz L Jp wrote: "Only 3???"

I wrote a review for it, but Goodreads didn't publish it. :[ I have to rewrite it, but it said why I gave it three. Basically, I found it boring but the ending was good. :]

message 3: by Jp (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jp Ah. Okey-doke!

message 4: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz L Jp wrote: "Ah. Okey-doke!"

message 5: by Jp (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jp Liz wrote: "Jp wrote: "Ah. Okey-doke!"

Woo! I finally got Goodreads to post it. Feel free to read it if you like. :D Are you a fan of the series?"

Yep! It's one of my favorites. ;)

message 6: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz L Jp wrote: "Liz wrote: "Jp wrote: "Ah. Okey-doke!"

Yep! It's one of my favorites. ;)"

Cool. :D Is Forever any better?

message 7: by Jp (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jp I haven't read it yet. I won an ARC but I'm super busy with school stuff. I loved Linger, though.