Rachel Brand's Reviews > The Sixty Minute Marriage

Mar 10, 2011

bookshelves: borrowed, marriage, non-fiction, 2011
Recommended to Rachel by: Mum
Read from January 28 to March 09, 2011

My mum leant this book to me when I got engaged in December. I read the first few chapters but had to put it down as it was rather disheartening - story after story about marriages that were falling to pieces, affairs, couples who no longer communicated. I picked it up again last night and some of the middle chapters had more relevance to my situation. There were lots of encouraging suggestions for keeping communication alive and making sure that you have time together as a couple. Some of these I'd already thought about from suggestions my parents have made - for example, me and my fiancé have really busy schedules due to coursework and studying, so we have a weekly date night to make sure that we see each other. It was encouraging to see that there were a lot of things that we'd already considered and talked about. Other sections, such as the ones on parentings, weren't quite so relevant. To be honest, I don't think that anyone is going to find every part of this book relevant as it covers so many topics.

While I did find quite a few of of the comments in this book encouraging or helpful, there were a lot of stories about broken marriages and it could be rather pessimistic at times, especially for someone just about to get married. I kind of wished that Rob Parsons had written about couples who had followed similar advice on communication and conflicts and managed to avoid getting to such a drastic stage in their relationship. I know that my parents struggle at times, but never to the extent of the couples in the book - they take preventative action and identify problems early on and tackle them. So if you're someone have real relationship problems, this book would probably be very encouraging as it features many other couples who are having difficulties. But if you're in the early stages of engagement or marriage you may, like me, read this book and think "Look at all of these problems we might have! What is going to happen to our marriage? Is there any way to avoid this?" (To which my fiancé merely commented that now that we know about these problems we can just make sure we avoid them. Men are so much more logical). I do think that there are some things in here that are worth reading for any couple, but a lot of it is more relevant for those who have been married for a long time and are now hitting serious problems. 8/10

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sixty Minute Marriage.

01/28/2011 page 48