Karen Hanson's Reviews > Their Eyes Were Watching God

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

Feb 03, 12

bookshelves: 2010-books-read
I own a copy

I found this book at a library sale and finally decided to read it being that it's a classic of sorts. I wasn't really sure what it was about except that it was a pivotal book in African American culture. "Their Eyes" follows a young black woman through her life, several marriages, and a few major path-changing decisions. It was an important book at the time because #1 It has a strong, female, black main character and #2 It talks about a town solely run by black men and women.

This wasn't a very long book, but I was still able to immediately connect with the main character and ride the rollercoaster of emotions that she constantly experiences. It was a little tough to read with the phonetic dialect style of writing, but in this case I think it added to the characters and it was easier to read after a few chapters. This turned out to be a classic worthy of the title and worth all of the $0.25 I paid for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Their Eyes Were Watching God.