Michelle's Reviews > Ruby Among Us

Ruby Among Us by Tina Ann Forkner

Jun 29, 08

bookshelves: forreview, christianfiction, blog-tour-book
Read in May, 2008

Ruby Among Us starts with a heavy theme, but it's important in order to understand Lucy's perspective throughout the story. If you love and miss your mother who has passed on, this story will move you to tears of healing and unleash memories of love. My mother had gone to be with the Lord for over ten years now, and reading Ruby Among Us sparked memories of loving times as I reached the conclusion of the book.

I don't want to give away any key plot points because half the pull of this story is not knowing imporant things about Lucy, Kitty and Ruby's pasts, and wanting so desperately to find out that you have trouble putting the book down. Forkner's writing style and voice is fresh, unique, and insightful. It's beautiful how she pulls you into the heart and mind of someone sheltered from life so much that she truly is an innocent in many of the things that take place around her. But the fresh, healing experiences she embraces, and her journey toward trusting others outside her immediate family is exciting and deep. And the romantic portions of this book are WONDERFUL and exciting. I felt my heart being tugged and moved with the tiny steps of faith that Lucy made toward healing...and toward love.

For someone who has always had a father in her life, it was eye-opening for me to see how truly painful it is for a young woman to never have a father figure in her life. In fact, so much pain is evoked that the hurt can taint choices and destroy a young woman's security for years to come. Our culture has tried very hard to shut down the importance of a man's role in a family and in a daughter's heart. Ruby Among Us beautifully illustrates how erroneous this belief is. For that reason alone I would love to see many men embrace this book. The bummer is that this story was so good I'm sad it had to end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ruby Among Us.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frances (new)

Frances Michelle, what a great review. I want the book! I miss my Mamma and Daddy too. We alway will. At least we know we will see them again.

Frances