Kate's Reviews > This is Not a Flophouse

This is Not a Flophouse by K.I. Hope

1914270
Jun 29, 11

bookshelves: signed-by-author
Recommended for: you and you and most certainly YOU!
Read in June, 2011 — I own a copy

This is the second book I've read from K.I. Hope and I must admit I really love the way she just serves the story up - all political, in a gritty, unapologetic - in your face, realistic way. The ending to this book is very tragic and things aren't as they seem, at all. There are loose, frayed ends, and if you're in the mood to read a book that's all tied up with a nice pink bow on top, this is NOT THAT KIND OF BOOK!

To me, this book was the equivalent of the movie REQUIEM FOR A DREAM. When I got to the end I was really glad I read it (even though it was like a sucker punch to the gut that made me cry), but it's not something that I can go back and re-read on a regular basis (even though I do agree with what she's saying and where she's coming from).

However (even with the above said), I do think this is an important read for the times we're living in, and that everyone should read this book at least once. I will most certainly continue to read everything written by this author because she has very important things to say, things that we as a society need to listen and pay close attention to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This is Not a Flophouse.

Quotes Kate Liked

K.I. Hope
“That is the nature of the obscene: a truth so honest it must be guarded, for it holds a revelation of purity that is deadly to mankind.”
K.I. Hope, This is Not a Flophouse

06/28/2011 page 96
38.0% "It's a war of ideals, them and us and their bible and ours. There aren't enough bodies in the world bullets can be put in to ever kill discrepancies in ideology."
06/29/2011 page 186
73.0% "Caring in your head ain't the same as caring in your heart."