Cole Riann's Reviews > The Dancer & Sexy Big Man

The Dancer & Sexy Big Man by Jeff  Adams

Jan 24, 2011

bookshelves: m-m, m-m-art, m-m-contemporary, m-m-famous, m-m-short, jessewave
Read on January 04, 2011

I really love stories about awkward and self-conscious characters. Inevitably, I know that I’m going to get to read a story about someone finding the courage to come out of their shell. They seem to be the best characters, perhaps because they’re more relatable, or because love inspires them to become a better person. Its a bit shmaltzy, but in an “aww, how sweet” kind of way that, if done well, can be genuine and not saccharine. This story hovers right on the line of overly sweet, but doesn’t go all the way. If the dancing hadn’t been the focus of much of the story, I’m sure it would have been too much. But, because on a fundamental level, dancing is primal, it allowed me to see Todd and Nate connect in a way that is difficult to achieve in a short story. I have high standards for shorts, because it requires a lot more skill to pull one off successfully and truthfully. Thankfully, though the dialogue here was a bit too sweet at times, the dancing carried the story enough that I enjoyed it very much. It was a wonderful interlude to my day and I recommend it for those times when you need a bit of a break from a long novel or a particularly melodramatic or melancholy plot. Happily Recommended for a light read.

For the full review, visit Reviews by Jessewave.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dancer & Sexy Big Man.