Joe's Reviews > The Taking

The Taking by Dean Koontz

Jan 25, 11

bookshelves: modern-works
Read in January, 2011, read count: 1

This book is shallow...empty...gross...ridiculous...and completely BRILLIANT!!! Sadly enough, I cannot explain why I feel this way without telling too much. All I can do is explain the "weaknesses" and let you hope that it will still hold together.

The first thing that people will notice is that the story builds slowly (though constantly). The tension is always there, the mysteriousness almost builds, and it keeps you going. Yet, some will be disappointed, because the action is kept to a minimum because of the mysteries. But this made the book feel as though it had no third act, which I found to be a fun change.

The second "problem" is that, though we get to know the main character very well, we are practically "separated" from the others in the book.

One problem that could have made me stop reading the book, if it had gone any futher, was how suddenly what was happening went too far out there. You might want to read this prepared for the most extreme combination of a pure horror movie and a sci-fi novel. Otherwise it may be hard to go through enough of it.

The last problem that bothered me was that many of the themes that came up seemed to not be developed too far.

However, all of these things listed ended up making this novel work at doing something I would have never expected. It may not be one of the best, but I found it too rewarding to only give it four stars. If you like those movies or books that you have to go through more than once, try it. I still have to read it again before I can even be sure of what I'm telling myself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Taking.