Phillip's Reviews > The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven

The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie

M_50x66
Jan 24, 11

Read in December, 2010

If you like reading short stories, then this is the book for you. This book deals with a lot of the modern day issues today except in the lives of native americans. This book contains a lot of rich detail that high school kids would probably love to read. One of the parts I like about one of the short stories is how kids would get their hands on a lot of alcohol and drugs.
The topic about drugs and alcohol really intriques me because it interests me how these kids can get their hands on all these types of narcotics like weed. At these young age these kids are already hooked on to all these types of narcotic which interests me and they seem to have a lot of the neccesities that adults would have , like cars. What I notice is that Native Americans seem to have a tradition or something like that, of drinking alcohol. A funny part that I liked in one of the short stories was when one of the characters picks up a random guy on the street and just offers him beer. I thought it was funny, weird and also cool how they just become friends by drinking with each other on their first time of meeting each other.
I can relate this book to a show I just started watching called The wire because it also deals with a lot of similar ideas with narcotics distributions or using. I recommend this book for anyone who is interested in struggles with native americans and there are a lot of topics that are talked about in this book such as poverty, alcohol abuse, and drug abuse. It was interesting to me and the vocabulary wasn't hard at all so I believe anyone who sees this book should at least give it a chance!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven.