Angela's Reviews > Dark Goddess

Dark Goddess by Sarwat Chadda

Feb 28, 11

Read on February 28, 2011

OMG. Amazon werewolves, guys.

Do I need to say anything more?

Well, probably, because there is a lot more going on than just the Amazon werewolves. But they're a highlight.

The first Billi SanGreal novel, Devil's Kiss, is one of my favorite paranormal books - and in the opening chapters of Dark Goddess I remembered why. The paranormal creatures in these books are the bad guys. Well, mostly. Chadda is a savvy enough author to put in some shades of gray. But those Amazon werewolves? They're not "kissing werewolves," as my husband dubs paranormal romance protagonists. They are beasts who will kill and eat you as soon as look at you. Also I love some of the twists Chadda puts on traditional stories - nothing so earth shaking as to make them unrecognizable, but fresh enough so you don't feel like you know everything before the story really gets going.

The action is absolutely nonstop here, and while I'm normally all for that, in this case it actually detracted a bit from feeling the danger Billi constantly says she's in. It's established early on, werewolves are bad news. Two Templars might be able to take on one werewolf, but fighting them one on one is too much. Yet Billi constantly comes out on top in werewolf battles - not really winning but certainly not losing. The first time it happened I could buy it, but after days of constant battling it felt like Billi was super-woman. She's an accomplished fighter and a Knight Templar, but she's also supposed to be 15, a squire for the Knights. Not a fatal flaw, but it's the only reason I'm not giving this the full five stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Goddess.