Tatiana's Reviews > Bloodshot

Bloodshot by Cherie Priest

Feb 06, 11

bookshelves: abandoned, urban-fantasy
Recommended to Tatiana by: Kelly
Recommended for: those who don't like their UF hawt
Read from February 04 to 06, 2011

Let's just cut to the chase here - this book could have been much better with some humor, some steam, and told by a more charismatic narrator.

Cherie Priest is a competent writer, the concept of this book is a good one - hence 2 stars instead of 1, even though I didn't finish reading it. I actually opened this book thinking it would be a great addition to the genre of vampire UF. But what started as a 4-star read for me - OMG, such a great premise - Raylene is a vampire and a professional thief who is hired by another (potentially smoldering) vampire to steal records pertaining to his kidnapping by government a few years prior, a couple of chapters later turned into a 3-star read - oh well, there is no hot romance, but at least the story is good, and then some more chapters later - 2 stars - don't even care how it ends.

The concept is great, the writing is decent, but the narrator, the whole cast of characters - beyond boring. As for Raylene being a vampire, this plot involving the army, CIA, Navy SEALs, etc., could have as well been set in a real world, the UF aspect is so little explored.

And the last thing. I will demonstrate the level of my shallowness here. I am absolutely disinterested in UF if there are no hotties and smut (or at least some possibility of smut) involved. If I wanted to read a strict mystery with no romance, I would have picked up another Miss Marple book. Frankly, I don't think I have many friends on Goodreads who would be interested in an UF novel like Bloodshot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodshot.

02/05/2011 page 30
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vinaya (new) - added it

Vinaya Is it good? Is it good? I've been DYING to read this one! Boy, I really hate Amazon sometimes!

Tatiana I like it so far.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda This book sounds great, I can't wait to hear how you like it.

message 4: by Flannery (new) - added it

Flannery *facepalm* for having just ordered this one from the swap...

Tatiana At least you didn't pay for it... I am glad I borrowed it from the lib.

message 6: by Vinaya (new) - added it

Vinaya Boy, I never thought I'd be grateful for Amazon's stubborn refusal to sell me ebooks! Is it just us, or are all the new UF series coming out these days really horrible? I think we've been spoiled by KMM and the like!

message 7: by Janina (last edited Feb 06, 2011 11:18AM) (new)

Janina Duh. I just added this to my wishlist this afternoon when I saw that you were reading it. It sounded very promising! Now my enthusiasm is gone ... and I downgraded it to maybe.

message 8: by Jessica (last edited Feb 06, 2011 11:21AM) (new)

Jessica "I am absolutely disinterested in UF if there are no hotties and smut (or at least some potential smut) involved."

Yup ^^

Tatiana I don't necessarily think it's horrible, but really, who can compete with Mac and Jericho?

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Your not shallow, I feel the same way about the hottie and smut thing LOL

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 06, 2011 12:09PM) (new)

Oh, and have you read Keri Arthur? She has some good smut going on and hotties. I was conflicted on book one, I liked it and I didn't. Not sure how to feel about Riley so I'm going to give book two a shot when I circle back around on my series reading.

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda It sounds like I won't like this book...I don't see a point in reading a vampire UF if there is no hot and sweaty sex. I put it on my TBR list because it sounded good, but I'm going to boot it off of my to-read shelf. Thanks for saving us all some time!

message 13: by gert (new)

gert nail on the head. what's the point of being a vampire if there's hot raunchy vamp sex?!?!?

message 14: by An Odd1 (new)

An Odd1 Definitions: Fantasy in a city is "urban", any kind of "people" can exchange physical love in any place. "Hot" is a separate shelf for when in the mood.

Brandi I'm just as shallow. This was at the library though, so I'm going to see if I'm in your camp, or if I enjoy it better.

Tatiana Sure, give it a try. I just feel like this author would appeal to a certain type of reader and I don't know many who are really into her.

Nikki I thought Adrian was smoking hot...