Sarah (Workaday Reads)'s Reviews > Shades of Grey: The Road to High Saffron

Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde

Jan 24, 2011

bookshelves: audiobook, read-in-2011, 5-stars-in-2011
Read from January 24 to February 05, 2011

Shades of Grey: The Road to High Saffron by Jasper Fforde was my latest audiobook. It's very much a fantasy story set really far in the future, when humans have changed to only see mainly one colour. The story follows Eddie Russett, who sees red.

While listening to this, I kept thinking this was very fanatisical. It is very much a fantasy story, and it is very well done. It starts with Eddie, the main character, stating that he is being eaten by a plant, and that it was Jane's fault. The story then backs up four days, and you don't get back to the scene in the beginning until right near the end.

I found the story very easy to follow, and very enjoyable. It definitely made my commute seem quick. Almost too quick, I didn't want to stop listening. If I had been reading the story, it definitely would have been one that kept me up way too late because I couldn't put it down.

Being an audiobook, I had the added bonus of the narrator. My version was narrated by John Lee. He was a great narrator. With the added bonus of an English accent. Very enjoyable. When I was checking it out from the library, the librarian mentioned that I would enjoy it, and that the narrator was very soothing and great to listen to. And she wasw definitely right.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Grey.