Ebookwormy's Reviews > While We're Far Apart

While We're Far Apart by Lynn Austin

Jun 07, 11

bookshelves: fiction, history, christian-church, history-twentieth-century, world
Read in June, 2011

Lynn Austin develops compelling characters, and in this work uses the backdrop of WWII to illustrate our struggles with the silence of God.

As a side note: I don't like the marketing of Austin's books. I didn't read the back of the book until I was done, an approach I will take with all future works by Lynn Austin. I have two problems with the book covers: 1) The writing is poor and gives the impression that Austin's work is merely cheesy Christian Romance. It is not. She has romance story lines, but she has consistently woven into her stories SO MUCH MORE; and 2) They are giving too much away. Austin develops her characters carefully within the plot lines, and I'd rather EXPERIENCE what she has to say, instead of having it preempted.

This particular book didn't strike me the way some of her other books have -- perhaps it was the familiar setting? Though it's impact was not indelible, I did enjoy reading it, and remain certain that reading this author is never a waste of time!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read While We're Far Apart.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Which of her other books have struck you as you mentioned?

Ebookwormy 2 of the 3 books from her Civil War series completely stunned me: "Candle in the Darkness" and "A light to my path" opening up avenues of thought I had never considered about the Civil War. Also, "A Woman's Place" started out as a regular book, and then morphed into something fantastic. "Gods and Kings" was insightful into the life of Hezekiah and some of the best Biblical historical fiction I've ever found (though the series faded at the end for me), and I loved the transgenerational storyline of "Eve's Daughters" and how she illuminated that the choices of women in previous generations influence us even if we aren't aware of how/ why they were made. I think i have reviews of all of these if you want to check them out. I LOVE Lynn Austin and would highly recommend the above.

message 3: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I just got an email (thanks to you) from that Pixel of Ink website saying that (among others) Lynn Austin's "Gods and Kings" is free for Kindle today! Like you said, the marketing is not exactly up my alley so I almost ignored it until I remembered that this was the author you were just recommending to me! Hooray! I've been needing a novel recently.

Ebookwormy caution: the first scene of Gods and Kings is a gruesome (though historically accurate) picture of child sacrifice! One friend was going to read it but couldn't get past the first chapter. Themes in that scene do play a strong part in later chapters, but if it's too much just skip it and go on. Because you have Biblical/ ancient background, u'll be able to fill in the blanks. So jealous you are getting it FREE! I have to say, ur kindle experiemce is really done more to interest me in an ebook than anything else!

message 5: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Well, we should talk more in depth about it before you seriously consider it since so far I've just made comments in passing. But so far I do love it!