Melissa (i swim for oceans)'s Reviews > Shrouded Secrets

Shrouded Secrets by Joel T. McGrath

ecret though, and it’s deadly. The two have an extraordinary amount of powers, leaving them either destined for a path of greatness or one of destruction. Desperate to learn the source of their power and their new destiny, David and Danielle have enough on their plate without a new force entering, hell-bent on acquiring their abilities. Can David and Danielle find balance when their world begins to fall apart, or will they go down with it?

How many of you have heard of Shrouded Secrets? Nobody? I’m not surprised, to be honest. There is pretty much zero hype surrounding the book, and when the author, Joel McGrath, asked if I’d be interested in reading and reviewing his book, I decided I had to do my research first. Shrouded Secrets is your classic untimely superhero story with a brother/sister twist, sending you on a journey with two teenage siblings as they try to comprehend the meaning of their lives, and their powers. Part superhero saga, part comic relief, Shrouded Secrets is a bit of a hidden gem in a sea of stories about uncommon heroes.

Shrouded Secrets was a bit of a wild ride, to be honest. The story kicks off in the first few pages, hooking you and connecting you with David and his sister, Danielle. You can feel David’s quirkiness and it resonates, balancing Danielle’s superiority and popularity. The introduction of powers feels perfectly untimely, if you catch my drift, throwing a wrench into the plot and propelling it forward. The great characters mesh well with a well-rounded plot, giving the reader something to immerse themselves in. I will admit, however, the plot did have a series of lulls and highs though, and there were a good amount of punctuation errors scattered throughout. However, they didn’t really detract from the overall story of Shrouded Secrets.

All in all, Shrouded Secrets is a nice start to a new superhero series, and I was pleased with the outcome – especially because there is a definite lead in to the next book without leaving us with an absurd cliffhanger. I give Shrouded Secrets a high 3.5 out of 5, and I’d recommend it to fans of YA, especially those who enjoy a rich blend of fantasy and sci-fi, and those who enjoyed the Percy Jackson series.

I received this book free of charge in exchange for an honest review. This, in no way, affected my opinion or review of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shrouded Secrets.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather Melissa-

I haven't heard a thing about this one. I saw that you were reading it and I thought, hmmm she must have found something the rest of us missed. Now I understand. Good review. I'm sure Percy fans will be rejoicing!

Heather