Nancy's Reviews > Night Shift

Night Shift by Red Haircrow

Jul 13, 14

bookshelves: e-books, lgbt, romance, favorites, kindle-lendable, outlaw-reviews
Read on January 24, 2011, read count: 2

Posted at Outlaw Reviews

19-year-old Jamie is a college student working third shift at the receiving department of a large retail store. He doesn’t really need the money, but he has a dream of going to Europe someday. His co-workers are a mixed bag, some rather odd and benign, others downright malicious, taunting Jamie because of his androgynous appearance and sweet disposition.

Derrik is the new guy who transferred from another store because of problems with his ex-wife. Jamie is intrigued from the start by his unusual looks, his long dark hair, and his reserved nature. After working together side by side for a month, Jamie agrees to meet Derrik for breakfast. Jamie’s attraction continues to grow while Derrik starts to open up a little. Not enough, though, as the secrets Derrik is withholding could tear apart their burgeoning relationship.

I became so involved with Derrik and Jamie and loved their sizzling chemistry and deep feelings. The secondary characters were vivid and memorable and though I would have liked more pages devoted to Jamie’s family situation and Derrik’s past, their story was very effectively told in just 53 pages, allowing the reader to fill in the blanks, and leaving a lingering impression.

I understand there is a sequel coming out in the spring. I, for one, can’t wait to get my hands on it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Shift.

message 1: by Red (new) - rated it 5 stars

Red Haircrow I was the rebel on the night shift, pallet jack racing up and down the aisles.

Thanks, I appreciate your review. Jamie and Derrik are special favorites of mine. I agree also, more of them would have worked and the ending was different than what one might expect. More is coming in "The Berlin Shift", whose title is a bit of a spoiler ;-)

Nancy That doesn't surprise me. :) The job details were so authentic, I started remembering my own part-time retail jobs years ago. I can't wait to go with Jamie and Derrik to Berlin! It will be nice to see Jamie's dream come true, even though I'm sure there will be many difficulties ahead too. Thanks for a wonderful story!

Bark's Book Nonsense You read the most interesting books Nancy.

message 4: by Nancy (last edited Feb 16, 2011 07:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nancy I love finding the hidden gems. :)