Monique's Reviews > Never Let Me Go

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Mar 19, 11

bookshelves: absolute-favorite, fiction, tv-film-adaptation, 2011, kindle
Read from March 03 to 19, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This is the first book that made me think, I have so much to say, but I have no words. It was that good. Really, really good.

Let me try to gather my wits about me and do a proper review. Without giving away much of the plot, that is. (This is important, see. If you want to read this book, I'd advise not reading reviews about it, lest the plot be unwittingly given away.)

I read this book without the least bit idea what it's about; I only became interested in it because of the movie adaptation, wanting to read the novel first before I see the film. So I really didn't know what to expect.

The story starts with the protagonist, Kathy H., introducing herself ~ what she does, where she comes from. She describes her current situation, and from there, takes the reader back to her past through her reminiscences. Kazuo Ishiguro thus divided the book into three parts: Kathy's childhood, her young adulthood, and finally, the present.

In Kathy's narrative, she introduces the other main characters, Ruth and Tommy, her closest friends. She describes her individual relationships with them through stories about their years together, and from these stories, the character traits of Ruth and Tommy develop.

If you don't have enough patience reading this book, you might chuck it out after just the first half. To me, Kazuo Ishiguro took his sweet time in building the storyline, creating and weaving the plot through an invisible structure narrated through Kathy's first-person point of view. He was careful to lay certain details first which, when you get to the second half of the novel, come to the fore and play significant roles. As we in the legal profession would put it, Kazuo Ishiguro first lay the premise, dropping little hints here and there to whet the reader's curiosity, and then, finally, drops the proverbial bomb. What I liked about his writing, however, was the way he was able to sustain my curiosity enough so that I will read the book to its conclusion. He will make you formulate your own theory on how things are actually supposed to be, and he'll make you want to finish the book to test if your suspicions have been right all along.

When I finished reading this book, I couldn't stop raving about it to my husband (who had no choice but to listen). What I couldn't forget the most was imagining how it would be like to be in Kathy's shoes... or Ruth's, or Tommy's... to be on the other side of the fence. In the last part of the book, the imagery painted by Ishiguro ~ about the fence that separated the wide open field that stretched so far, from where Kathy stood ~ was for me a huge metaphor of how it would be like to be Kathy. Just thinking about it broke my heart and at the same time, challenged my morals and ethics.

I recommend this book to absolutely everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Let Me Go.

Quotes Monique Liked

Kazuo Ishiguro
“Memories, even your most precious ones, fade surprisingly quickly. But I don’t go along with that. The memories I value most, I don’t ever see them fading.”
Kazuo Ishiguro, Never Let Me Go

03/13/2011
03/13/2011
12.0% "OK, I'm going to give this a chance."
03/14/2011
17.0% 1 comment
03/16/2011
39.0% "Reminds me a lot of my childhood, the reminiscences. :)"
03/17/2011
71.0% "I finally got it."
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

K.D. Absolutely I have the DVD of the movie. I will watch it tonight :) Nice review, Monique!

message 4: by Tintin (new) - added it

Tintin Wow, now I'm hyped up over this book! :D

Monique Thanks, K.D. and Tintin! And everyone, too, for liking my review. :D

Regine I have to read this!

Angus And I just let my goosebumps subside before clicking the like button. How could anyone not like this novel?