Lily (WhoLockian)'s Reviews > Cry Wolf

Cry Wolf by Tami Hoag

Jan 23, 2011

liked it

Cry Wolf by Tami Hoag

Reviewed by Moirae the fates book reviews.

The scream heard by no one is the deadliest.

In the rural parishes of Louisiana's French Triangle, young women are disappearing one by one, only to turn up on the banks of the bayou, strangled and cast aside where they are sure to be found. But there is one trophy the killer prizes above all others, one woman who must be silenced forever....

Attorney Laurel Chandler did not come back to Bayou Breaux to seek justice. That once-burning obsession had destroyed her credibility, her career, her marriage--and nearly her sanity. But when a ruthless predator strikes too close to home, she's lured into a perverse game from which there may be no escape. Once before, Laurel's cries against a monstrous evil went unanswered. Who will listen now?
(Synopsis provided by Goodreads.com)

Cry Wolf is the first book by Hoag I have read. For me, the book started out slow, very slow. It seemed to me to be more of a romance then a mystery. It needs to be said, that I am not very big on romance novels. A lot of people love them, but they just are not my cup of tea. So I am looking past that and am going to focus on the mystery element of this book.

The book follows Laurel who is a lawyer is the one that ultimately is looking for the killer(s). I found the writing to be good, but at times, it felt a bit too flowery and I think the book could have used a bit more editing.

For the most part the dialog was good, there were a few parts that were unbearably cheesy, but those were more of the romantic scenes and again, I'm not a fan of romance books. Hoag did a good job on leaving small clues leading to the answer of who is the killer(s). I had an idea of who it was, but I wasn't sure. Ultimately, I was wrong and the answer came as a small surprise for me, I had thought about this person(s) but I didn't think they were the answer.

Hoag is a talented author and I would try another of her books as I have heard from other readers that she other books that are more mystery.

Over all rating:
*** this is a solid 3 1/2 out of five stars for me. The romance which took up more of the book then the mystery knocked it down for me.

Cover Art
The cover art is okay, I don't love it, but I don't dislike it either.

Obtained:
My personal book shelf

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cry Wolf.