Mombo's Reviews > Darkwood Manor

Darkwood Manor by Jenna Ryan

May 18, 11

bookshelves: series, harlequin-intrigue, read-in-may-2011, read-in-2011, shivers
Read from May 08 to 14, 2011

If I had to make Darkwood Manor into a movie it would fall into the film noir category. The mood is dark, forbidding, and mysterious; the criminal is greedy and malevolent; there is a blonde dame and a strong, tall, dark hero. I don't think there was ever a mention of sunlight and the humour didn't lighten things up much.

I had to back up once or twice to get the supporting characters straight and I had to re-read the description of the manor once or twice especially when Katie goes missing and Isabella first meets Donovan. (What the heck was he doing down there?) This was early on in the book and the ballroom, the rat traps, the cat, the hidden rooms, the tree randomly falling on the car like it's an Allstate commercial, and the family tree were a bit much piled into one 224-page story.

The surprise twists at the end of most chapters were a great element and kept you hooked to the end. The romance felt more like lust than love but since Isabella and Donovan didn't mind, I guess there's nothing more you can say...
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkwood Manor.