An Odd1's Reviews > Little Women or Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy

Little Women or Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy by Louisa May Alcott

Oct 05, 14

Sweet. Sad. Silly through lens of today. Idealistic for times. Too sickly sweet religious for my present sensibilities. Marriage and kids is happy ending here. I read when child, so accepted that mothers were always right. Hah.

I remember wanting to like this because I wanted to be a writer like Jo did, but the ending contradicts, so I forget if I finished the book. I've re-read, disappointed how strong is the push for religion, holding up standard as poor married mother with kids. If realistic, would have ten kids. It conformed to the day, as books now have working women.

Massachusetts. US Civil War. March family of girls befriends rich neighbor Laurence 15 so he doesn't idle. Their father volunteers as vicar for soldiers. Godly wife and mother, happy in poverty, "do my duty" p 10 is the ideal of book. Christmas breakfast is given away to ragamuffin family "Das is gut" p 14.

"Margaret, the eldest of the four, was sixteen, and very pretty" p 5 and knows it; at 17 set to marry Laurie's tutor John Brooke. Jo 15 is thin tomboy, writes. Beth 13 has her foot in the grave and family accept -- how gloomy. Amy 12 blond curls show dark in illustrations.

Long letters fill pages, narrate third-hand. Amy tours continent same time as Laurie, so he comforts her when needed (view spoiler). While teaching in New York, Jo falls for thirty-some German, Professor Blauer, her letters talk of nothing else.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Women or Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy.

10/05/2014 marked as: currently-reading