Jason's Reviews > Spider-Man: One More Day

Spider-Man by J. Michael Straczynski

M_50x66
Jan 25, 11

bookshelves: comics

** spoiler alert ** Easily the worst Spider Man story evertold. First of all this makes all of JMS' entire run on spider man useless in addition to many years of continunity.
Second this undermines Spider Man's message of "With great power comes with great responsibility" with Spider Man making a deal with the devil (in this case it's Mephisto) to save Aunt May's life. Here's the thing, Aunt May in the book wanted to die, and Mary Jane explain to Peter that she lived a good long life. Instead Peter goes off and gives no regard to Mary Jane and Aunt May want to make a deal with the devil to fulfill his own wish. Does that sound responsible to you? Not to mention that the story is really contrived and tends to ignore continuity
This reason why this was written sounds total BS. Apparently the writers of spider man claim that a good story with Peter and Mary Jane can't be told. I'm sure that 30+ years of spider man comics gonna disagree with that. And if your gonna make Peter and Mary Jane not married, a simple divorce paper would work (not to mention that a interesting story can be told with that situation) and can make it a little more realistic and maybe relatible with readers than making a deal with the devil which feels like a cheap cop out. We don't need Peter Parker back in basics we already have that with ultimate spider man. This alienates a huge part of your fan base.
Overall stay away from this story. The only thing I can give to this book is the artwork is okay.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spider-Man.