Lloyd's Reviews > The Clicking of Cuthbert

The Clicking of Cuthbert by P.G. Wodehouse

M 50x66
Jan 23, 11

A prolific and consistent writer, Wodehouse produced volumes of well-crafted humor. But, at times, one inevitably feels a certain distance. The comedian really should not get too close to his audience. But in this book I get the strong sense that he was writing as much for himself as for the public. In most of these stories he is not trying to get us to laugh, he is cracking jokes and laughing along.

Much of the humor may be lost on non-golfers (or those who don't know any golfers). But if you have encountered the passionate golfer in real life, you will experience a strong recognition as you read:

"Love (says the Oldest Member) is an emotion which your true golfer should always treat with suspicion. Do not misunderstand me. I am not saying love is a bad thing, only that it is an unknown quantity. I have konwn cases where marriage improved a man's game, and other cases where it seemed to put him right off his stroke. There seemds to be no fixed rule. But what I do say is that a golfer should be cautious..."
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Clicking of Cuthbert.