Laura's Reviews > The Betrayal of Maggie Blair

The Betrayal of Maggie Blair by Elizabeth Laird

Mar 06, 11

bookshelves: free-arc, ya, historical, witches-sorcerors-magic, reviewed
Read from February 25 to March 05, 2011

The Betrayal of Maggie Blair follows a young girl as she is forced to leave home in order to escape a death sentence for the conviction of being a witch. I was read this book free through NetGalley.

The titular character was one I enjoyed because she was a fighter, although not in the literal way that say Katsa of Graceling was a fighter. Rather she didn't give up in the face of overwhelming odds and she proved her strength in a rather realistic way.

I greatly enjoyed Maggie's journey, the places she went, the way she faced trials and even how she dealt with the people, which were realistically different. She met some people who immediately took a liking to her, some who merely tolerated her and others who only wanted to get the better of her. (view spoiler) And I really liked Maggie as a main character.

That being said I knocked off two stars for things that bothered me throughout the novel. One was because I felt disconnected at parts of the novel. It have been because Laird tended to skip forward and summarize a few days or months in a sentence. It was a little jarring because then I became aware of the fact that we were skipping chunks of time. Maggie's emotions didn't come through well. I was told she was scared or sad, but I didn't feel them with her. I wasn't upset by a death in this book as I was in The Book Thief (which had me bawling like a baby at parts). I just felt like too much was told to us, rather than shown or letting us experience it as well.

The other was for something that although I understood why it was necessary, just was not up my alley: the religion. This book is heavily religious, not in that Laird is trying to preach to us, but that the characters, because of the time they live in and because of the conflict, are constantly preaching or praying or quoting/reading from the Bible. Given that some of the main characters are preachers, yes I get it. But after a while it was annoying and trying my patience to the point that I was skimming those passages to avoid it.

I had no problems with the actual conflict between religions. I get that. That's a fact of everyday life today and it definitely was huge at that time period. It just felt like I could have done without some of the Bible quoting.

If religion is something you want to avoid, then this book is probably not for you. But this is a good story if you can overlook the religion.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Betrayal of Maggie Blair.

02/27/2011 page 129
36.0% "I had a lot of difficulty getting this far. The book is heavily religious, which I don't enjoy. But, the story is getting somewhere now."
show 1 hidden update…