Katieb (MundieMoms)'s Reviews > Dogsled Dreams

Dogsled Dreams by Terry Lynn Johnson

"What a fun, fast paced, action packed story! Having grown up around dogs and dogsledding, Rebecca has a dream of leading her own team in a dog sledding competition. Through a lot of hard work, dedication, preparation and with her father's support, Rebecca competes in her first race.

It wasn't hard for me to get sucked right into Rebecca's world. I really liked various elements that make up Dogsled Dreams. It's a mix of adventure, learning to trust yourself and being courageous. Twelve year old Rebecca learns to not only trust herself, but also her dogs, and it's this trust that will help them over come the elements, the dangers of wild animals and anything else that they may encounter on the trails. It's a lot of responsibility for a young person to take on, but Rebecca accomplishes this with a fierce determination and courage. I admired how supportive her father is. He teaches her some important lessons and is there to help her along her way.

Terry paints a vivid picture of setting, and I loved getting a picture of the beautiful northern night sky. From the description about what it likes to be caught out in the elements, to getting a glimpse of the bond Rebecca develops with her dogs, and seeing the courage it takes to train and compete in a race, I felt like I was part of the adventure. I really appreciate that Terry includes an handy educational tool at the back of the book with her glossary or terms and illustrated picture of how a dog sled team is set up.

Dogsled Dreams is a wonderful, engaging adventure that I highly recommend picking up!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dogsled Dreams.