Holly's Reviews > A Million Miles in a Thousand Years: What I Learned While Editing My Life

A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller

F_50x66
Jan 24, 11

bookshelves: 2011-free-swapped-gift
Read from January 23 to 24, 2011

I went into this not knowing what to expect. I haven't read any of Miller's other books; several of my friends think of him very highly, and I was really introduced to him (theoretically, not actually) because one of my friends works closely with him professionally. So, when I heard he had a new memoir, I figured I would give it a try, and was generously gifted a copy of this book by said friend.

I came away from it with mixed feelings. It's a good quick read, although I can see reading it slowly, over time, a chapter or a few pages at a time. No doubt this would lead to different revelations than mine. It's fairly light, full of reflections and thoughts and centering around the idea of crafting your life out of great stories. It's an inspiring message. It doesn't seek to be a self-help book or to tell you the steps to take; rather, it offers examples of people who have crafted these stories, and explains a bit of Miller's own attempts to do so in his life.

I knew that Miller was a Christian so I wasn't surprised to see many references to the Bible, Jesus, and his resulting philosophy of life. Personally, I took much more away from the anecdotes and personal reflection than the links to scripture, but then again, I don't share that particular worldview, so this isn't too surprising.

I'm intrigued enough that I'd give another look at Miller's other work. He writes in an engaging way, and has some good things to say. This won't make my "favorite books of 2011" shelf, but it's given me some things to reflect on and I'm glad I read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years.

Quotes Holly Liked

Donald Miller
“Fear is a manipulative emotion that can trick us into living a boring life.”
Donald Miller, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years: What I Learned While Editing My Life
tags: fear

01/23/2011 "Haven't read any of Miller's other books, but was given a copy of this by a friend after hearing good things."
show 1 hidden update…