Marcella's Reviews > Mistress by Midnight

Mistress by Midnight by Maggie Robinson

4252067
Jan 25, 11

Read from January 23 to 25, 2011

Let me start off by saying that I loved this story. I don't want anyone to get discouraged from reading this book because I only gave it 3 stars.

This book involves a man named Con who attempts to once again win the heart of his love and soul mate Laurette. They loved each other a great deal but because of Con's uncle and the unfortunate financial situation he placed Con in he was forced to marry someone else and leave Laurette behind.

Although Con's method of winning her back was convoluted and may have come across as cruel, he had the best of intentions. She had flat out refused his marriage proposal a year prior so he felt this was the only way. Con had her brother accumulate debt; not that it was difficult since the man was a gambler. To pay off his debts and save their home, Con makes Laurette his mistress for 6 months.

Now I won't give anymore of the story away because its something that I feel a reader should explore and discover on their own.

However, the reason why I gave this book 3 stars even though I truly loved the story was that there were many things in between the telling of the story that seemed to drag on. It felt like a movie reel playing the same part over and over again. And for me the most frustrating part was the end. It was abrupt and frankly left me quite unsatisfied. I wish there would have been more finality at the end instead of just an abrupt after thought.

The book is well worth the read. The story is really beautiful I just wish there had been more. I feel that there is something missing and incomplete about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistress by Midnight.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant There's a second one??? Onto my tbr it goes, lol.

Marcella Apparently its a trilogy. Not sure what the third one is called.