Megan's Reviews > How Reading Changed My Life

How Reading Changed My Life by Anna Quindlen

Anna Quindlen has written an amazing little book for book-lovers everywhere. She touches on subjects many of us bibliphiles are familiar with--our beloved books from childhood and how our opinions of them change, the need for a physical book in your hand (as opposed to an e-reader), and the stereotype that we as voracious readers are loners, weird, or lazy. Even if you don't love to read, I can only imagine that this book would encourage you to and change your mind. I felt the book was the perfect size at 82 pages---the writing was clear, beautiful and nothing was overdone or pontificated on for too long. Yet that being said, her writing left me wanting more of it! That is the mark of a truly great book I think. I also loved her top 10 lists at the back.

I have to share this quote that ends the book which I loved (and it was hard to choose one!):

"Perhaps it is true that at base we readers are dissatisfied people, yearning to be elsewhere, to live vicariously through words in a way we cannot live directly through life. Perhaps we are the world's greatest nomads, if only in our minds. I travel today in the way I once dreamed of traveling as a child. And the irony is I don't care for it very much. I am the sort of person who prefers to stay at home, surrounded by family, friends, familiarity, books. This is what I like about traveling: the time on airplanes spent reading, solitary, happy. It turns out that when my younger self thought of taking wing, she wanted only to let her spirit soar. Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home." (page 70).

A quick must-read!
3 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Reading Changed My Life.

Quotes Megan Liked

Anna Quindlen
“Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home.”
Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life