Jen's Reviews > The Tavern on Maple Street

202716
Jan 29, 12

bookshelves: audiobooks, miscellaneous-fiction, womens-fiction
Read from January 08, 2011 to January 02, 2012

The third and final Sharon Owens book I bought long ago and had not listened to. This was not my favorite (I preferred The Ballroom on Magnolia Street), but it was pleasant enough. In this book, a husband and wife try to save their ancient tavern from being knocked down for a new shopping mall. In the process, they decide they need to make more money over the upcoming Christmas holidays in case they need to support themselves elsewhere if they lose the battle, so they hire four young ladies to help cook, serve, and pour drinks...and all four of them eventually end up boarding in the owners' upstairs rooms as well. The girls bring some chaos to the residence, the tavern is a big hit, they all come to love and appreciate one another, etc.

I don't know if I could straight read any of these books - so much is added, in my opinion, from the reader's lilting Irish accent. They are all nice enough stories...but they're pretty formulaic and trite, in my opinion. Everyone always has a happy ending and/or learns a lesson and/or gets what's coming to them. Still, the books are all sort of picturesque and peaceful, a nice mental break when you need some plot and kind characters but don't want to think too hard or worry too much about the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tavern on Maple Street.