Hannah's Reviews > Gentlemen

Gentlemen by Michael Northrop

2028737
Jan 23, 11

Read in January, 2011

This book in a word: typical.

It was simply okay. The plot was nothing special, somewhat predictable.

First off, the title is misleading. I can only remember Mr. Haberman calling the four boys "gentlemen" twice. If your going to use a certain phrase to add a creep factor in your book, you better use it obsessively.

Anyway, I have to say that it was suspenseful. After the 'deed' was done, I could feel the characters' anxiousness. I could feel their nerves frying to a crisp. However, that suspense wasn't met with a phenomenal ending.
The ending was probably the main element that brought this book down. It was entirely anti-climatic. The way things ended with Tommy was so... stupid. The way things ended with Haberman was equivalently unintelligible. There was no twist, no dramatic conclusion. When things concluded with the two characters in question, I was like, "Really? Is that freakin' it?"

In other news, the rape scene really disturbed me. I was left with a rather dirty feeling the rest of the day. It felt like I needed to take a shower or something. But I think it was necessary for the one character's development as a monster.

Everything else -- the character development, writing style, etc -- was ordinary. It was a somewhat entertaining read, but I neither glad nor angry that I read it.

The cover, however, was amazing. Kudos to the designer. :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gentlemen.